Every January millions of children go back to school. While schools are great places for children to learn and develop both mentally and socially, it’s important for kids to remember their health and wellbeing in the classroom, all year round.
While most parents and children have a checklist of stationery and supplies for starting the school year, the Australian Chiropractors Association (ACA) have developed a ‘Back to School Health Checklist.’ The checklist, as part of the annual Back to School Campaign, is a great way to remind kids of the importance of building healthy habits in school.
They are simple to incorporate and easily fit into a child’s everyday routine. As kids don’t often think about the impact common activities can have on their overall health and wellbeing, try and check off these items with them this back to school season:
- Wear your backpack with both straps, only pack essential items with heaviest items to the back of the bag.
- Secure the waist and chest straps.
- Pack a healthy and nutritious lunch and snacks.
- In the classroom, sit with your shoulders back and relaxed, with both feet on the floor.
- Try and reduce your screen time where possible.
- Get at least 60 minutes of exercise every day.
If you are concerned about your child’s spine or any other back to school related activities, consider booking an appointment with one of our chiropractors today!