Dr Anil Asthana
Gastroenterologist and Hepatologist
MBBS (Hons), MRCS, FRACP
Dr Asthana is passionate about a holistic and personalised approach to gastroenterology and ensures that the highest quality is delivered for his patients. He delivers national and international talks as well as publishing papers in peer-reviewed journals. He is one of the first physicians in Australia to perform and teach intestinal ultrasound and is currently on both national & international gastroenterology committees. He is currently a Senior Medical Staff Member at Royal Melbourne Hospital.
• Graduated from the prestigious King’s College, London UK
• A graduate from the Royal College of Surgeons of England (MRCS) &
The Royal Australasian College of Physicians (FRACP)
• Awarded VESKI award from the Victorian Government for his research in intestinal ultrasound in Crohn’s disease and Ulcerative Colitis
• Undertook training at Kings College Hospital, Guys’ & St. Thomas Hospital, Box Hill Hospital and The Alfred Hospital.
Special interests within gastroenterology include:
1. Bowel, stomach and oesophageal cancer prevention and screening
2. Food allergies and intolerances
3. Crohn’s disease and Ulcerative colitis (inflammatory bowel disease)
4. Liver abnormalities – Hep B/C, fatty liver disease, cirrhosis
5. Coeliac disease, reflux problems and Irritable Bowel Syndrome
6. Intestinal ultrasound for abdominal pain, colitis, constipation, diverticulitis